- Neurosurgical complications (hydrocephalus and cerebellar tonsillar
ectopia) may require surgical intervention.
- Epilepsy may require long-term antiepileptic treatment.
- Feeding difficulties such as chewing and swallowing difficulties and
dysphagia require evaluation by a feeding specialist and/or gastroenterologist and
may require dietary modification and/or placement of a gastrostomy (G) tube.
- Speech therapy is indicated for difficulties with speech, swallowing,
- Developmental delays. Initiation of physical, occupational, and speech therapy is recommended within the first year of life.